Bengaluru, India,December 24, 2014: Junglee.com, India’s #1 search and comparison site for shoppers, today released its Online Shopping Search Trends Report 2014. The report analyses the key consumer online shopping search trends in 2014 based on customer searches on Junglee.com.
Some of the interesting findings of Junglee’s Online Shopping Search Trends Report 2014 are:
- Fashion categories moved up the ranking – Shoes, Watches and Jewellery became the top searched categories on Junglee in 2014.
- In Apparel, the most popular searches were for Anarkalis, Sarees and Lehengas.
- While the Indian ethnic segment is decidedly larger, western wear saw faster growth in the year.
- The most searched designer celebrity in apparel was Manish Malhotra whose popularity grew by almost 12x between January and November 2014.
- In the western wear category, Jumpsuits saw the biggest growth and exhibited seasonality with the number of searches peaking during summer.
- In the Shoes category, searches and interest in Sports shoes has shown the biggest growth, proving the fact that young India is becoming increasingly fitness-conscious.
- Woodland, Puma, Lee Cooper and Nike were the most searched brands
- Women’s pumps and stilettos saw the biggest spike over 2013 – a jump of nearly 2000%.
- Watches search trends were increasingly brand led. Among the top searched brands were Casio, Swatch, Armani, Fastrack and Tissot.
- Jewellery saw a decrease of two places, but the searches for Jewellery by itself grew nearly 3 times, peaking during Diwali and the wedding season.
- Searches for fashion jewellery grow by over 5x while antique jewellery witnessed nearly 4x increase over 2013.
- Searches related to Swarovski crystal and Platinum jewellery grew much bigger than the category average, which shows that the online customers in India are taking to premium and precious jewellery shopping in a big way.
- In terms of style, the Earcuffs saw the biggest search volume; their volumes grew nearly 5x in 2014 over searches in 2013!
- For fitness items, though the category was launched only in July 2014, the searches that it garnered showed some very interesting trends.
- The report shows a spike in trends for searches for gym/Fitness related products, pushing it up higher than the category average in 2014, clearly in sync with the rising awareness trend for fitness in the Indian market.
- Searches for specific equipment such as Eliptical, Punching bags, Crossfit equipment grew a huge 450 % by the year end.
- In the home, interiors and kitchen category, the top categories being Sofas, Beds and Wardrobes
- Patio and outdoor furniture searches showed a growth in searches by 5x, which is much higher than the growth of the category.
- The In terms of brands searched for in the interiors category, Mebelkart took the top place , followed by Urban Ladder, and Zansaar Aapno Rajasthan
- Aapno Rajasthan, selling ornate, ethnic furniture saw searches grow by 10X
- For indoor plants category, the top searched category was Bonsai, whose search
volumes grew by 5x in 2014, closely followed by Bamboo plants.
- The top food categories searched were relatively uncommon niche ones like Green tea and Olive Oil followed by dry fruits, honey & sweets.
- Top brands searched in the top categories:
- Mobile Phones: Samsung, Apple, Micromax, Sony and Nokia were the top searched brands.
- Authors: Chetan Bhagat was the top searched author followed by Ankit Fadia, Sachin Tendulkar, Anand (pseudonym of noted Malayalam author and intellectual P Sachidanandan) and Sudha Murthy.
- Beauty products: Searches for Lakme products topped the category followed by Oriflame, Avon, Mac and Maybelline.
- Home appliances: LG took the top slot followed by Whirlpool, Godrej, Samsung and IFB.
- PCs & Tablets : Samsung led the pack followed by Lenovo, Apple, HP and Micromax.
“The Junglee.com Online Shopping Search Trends Report 2014 corroborates the changes in consumption patterns that the Indian market is witnessing and as online shopping gains greater ground, customers increasingly prefer to do a thorough search and comparison of products online before they buy. For our sellers, the report provides necessary data and analytics to be leveraged in making their businesses more successful in the online space, “said Mahendra Nerurkar, General Manager of Junglee.com. “While 2012 was about Electronics, Appliances and Books and 2013 was about the emergence of Fashion, 2014 clearly marked the emergence of Furniture, Food as well as Fitness , in addition to Fashion, as categories that attracted immense customer interest,” adds Mahendra.