Google rolls out Android 7.0 Nougat to Nexus devices
Google today announced the roll of Android 7.0 Nougat to Nexus devices. Today, and over the next several weeks, the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C and General Mobile 4G (Android One) will get an over the air software update to Android 7.0 Nougat. Any devices enrolled in the Android Beta Program will also receive this final version.
Sameer Samat, VP of Product Management, Android & Google Play said “ Android 7.0 Nougat is by far the sweetest release yet. Google has taken a different approach to build and launch Nougat which was announced earlier this year.For starters, we invited developers to take a sneak peek at Android N back in March, so they could bring their apps to the new platform earlier. Android Nougat reflects input from thousands of fans and developers all over the world. There are over 250 major features in Android Nougat.”
More personal: Providing more ways to customize your phone to fit your personality is kind of a big deal, and Android has been leading the way since day one. With Android Nougat, Android users will have more ways to personalise their smartphones including:
· Expanded emoji: There are now over 1,500 different emoji built into Android, including 72 new ones, so go ahead and express yourself.
· Quick Settings controls: Quick Settings gives you easy access to things like bluetooth, WiFi and the all-important flashlight. With Android Nougat, you can actually control what tiles go where, and move ‘em around to fit ones needs.
- Multi-locale support: Apps can tailor their content based on local settings. For instance if someone speaks multiple languages, then search engines can show results in each of those languages.
More productive: Whether you’re responding to work emails or making plans with friends, Android 7.0 Nougat helps you multitask with ease with new features like Multi-window, Direct reply, and Quick switch.
- Multi-window: Run two apps side-by-side. The windows are resizable, too, by simply dragging the divider.
- Direct Reply: Reply directly to notifications without having to open any app.
- Quick Switch: Switch between your two most recently used apps by simply double tapping the Overview button.
More secure As always, Android 7.0 Nougat is built with powerful layers of security and encryption to keep data private and secure. For new devices coming this fall, Google has also added new features like Seamless updates, File-based encryption and and Direct Boot.
- Seamless updates: New Android devices with Nougat can install software updates in the background which means you won’t have to wait while your device installs the update and optimizes all your apps for the new version. And for current Nexus users, software updates now install much faster, so you won’t have to wait for minutes while your device reboots.
- File-based encryption: Android Nougat can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
- Direct Boot: Direct Boot helps your device startup faster, and apps run securely even before you unlock your device when your device reboots.
More smart battery: Starting with the release of Android Marshmallow last year, Google has been making the battery smarter. With Android 7.0 Nougat the Doze feature has been made even more dozier. Android devices can now drop into lower power usage when it’s getting jostled around in your pocket or bag while on the move.
More immersive Android 7.0 Nougat is designed with immersive experiences in mind—including support for VulkanTM (an advanced 3D rendering API) and Daydream (Google’s platform for mobile virtual reality).
- VulkanTM: Games will now leap to life thanks to high-speed, next-generation graphics — all powered by your device’s multi-core processor.
- Daydream: Android 7.0 Nougat is ready to transport users to virtual worlds with Daydream-ready phones, headsets and controllers — all coming later this year.