Barcelona, Spain, February 25, 2016: The nature of the mobile network has changed significantly with the rapid growth of mobile traffic, specifically the rise of encrypted mobile video and content, and the build-out of LTE and LTE-advanced networks. The shift has been disruptive for service providers struggling to attain the best total cost of ownership (TCO) from the strategic platforms within their infrastructure that can adapt to dynamic trends in traffic, help them deliver highly efficient services and maximize the potential of their LTE networks. Service providers require leading-edge technology to retain their subscribers and improve the subscriber experience with the availability of higher quality video and less video stalling.
Citrix announced the availability of the new NetScaler T1000 series which integrates proven ByteMobile optimization technology with the highly scalable, higher performance NetScaler platform architecture. This innovative Citrix solution improves the economics of mobile traffic as it offers service providers the industry’s leading price-performance platform that combines optimization technology for enhanced mobile subscriber experience with ADC technology for improved network efficiency all through the NetScaler platform. The software-first foundation that powers the Citrix Networking portfolio helps customers protect and future-proof their technology investments as the company’s NetScaler platform can be easily updated to address new technologies and industry trends for the secure delivery of applications and data.
The Evolution of Traffic
To ensure future success, customers need a platform that can scale with the continuing, rapid growth of mobile traffic, specifically the rise of encrypted mobile video and content. According to the 2016 Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, mobile video will grow at a CAGR of 62 percent between 2015 and 2020 with three-fourths (75 percent) of the world’s mobile data traffic consisting of video traffic by 2020.
Service providers need a solution that helps address this evolution of traffic: mobile video places the most stress upon a mobile network and serves as a differentiator amongst competition, and optimization is essential to improve network efficiency and enhance user experience to provide a higher QoE that delivers higher quality videos with less stalling of video. Service providers also need a platform that steer traffic to the most efficient management paths depending upon the customers’ needs, help improve speed, reduce costs and preserve functionality. The platform combines subscriber-aware steering, optimization, load balancing, CGNAT and unique traffic identification and optimization technology all in one platform.
NetScaler is the only platform that can: scale at a dramatically lower cost per unit of capacity; ensure the ability to evolve different elements of a network at different rates; and be leveraged seamlessly across physical, hybrid and fully virtualized and containerized implementations to facilitate the migration to NFV. As the leader in the application virtualization and delivery markets, Citrix introduces this new enhanced platform which includes: a flexible architecture to manage different types of traffic; increased capacity which enables operational agility and flexibility; enhanced IT efficiencies through higher infrastructure utilization and consolidation ratios; and lower TCO of datacenter and network operations.
Additional benefits of the NetScaler T1000 for service providers include providing the ability to:
- Consolidate multiple use cases on a single platform – Allows operators to simplify S/Gi-LAN deployment and reduce complexity and inefficiency. The most impactful consolidated scenario is that of carrier-grade network address translation (CGNAT), data-plane load balancing, optimization and traffic steering.
- Scale mobile S/Gi-LAN services – Enables operators to scale any network use case, including optimization and load balancing, CGNAT, optimization and traffic-steering in the data plane; and LTE DNS, SMPP, SIP, and Diameter load-balancing in the control plane.
- Platform and scalability options to address different network sizes – Netscaler T1000 comes in models supporting from 20 Gbps to 100 Gbps and 100 Gbps to 160 Gbps with paygrow options that allow license upgrades to higher throughputs. Furthermore, clustering of appliances can scale capacity up to 3.3 Tbps.
- Improved CAPEX and OPEX– NetScaler T1000 significantly lowers the cost per Gigabit capacity, providing up to 1/3 the cost of competitive ASIC-based platforms. Mobile operators can augment their networks with NetScaler and lower their overall total cost of ownership.
- Transition to automated and virtualized networks – NetScaler is certified with popular OpenStack distributions, such as Red Hat and Mirantis, and can be deployed as a physical network function (PNF). Furthermore, the NetScaler virtual ADCs, the VPX, can co-exist with NetScaler PNFs in a hybrid network exposing the same APIs to NFV orchestration platforms allowing all NetScalers to be managed using the same management framework.
Chris Koopmans, Vice President and General Manager, Service Provider Platform at Citrix, said, “We are improving the economics of managing mobile traffic by delivering an innovative solution that combines ByteMobile optimization technology with NetScaler ADC platform, to help improve overall network efficiency and deliver an enhanced subscriber experience. In a world where traffic keeps growing at a rapid pace, service providers need a consolidated platform that scales with demand while also reducing costs.”
Citrix NetScaler T1000 will be generally available in Q1 2016.