Bangalore, India, October 27, 2014: On September 21st, Amazon.in kicked-off the 30 day Online Shopping Dhamaka ahead of the peak festival season offering customers thousands of exciting new deals & offers on the hottest products; new store launches; first access to unique selections & premium brands, exciting contests, etc. The month-long Online Shopping Dhamaka allowed customers to shop at their convenience and take advantage of the everyday new deals & offers and enjoy great savings on their festival shopping from Navratri, Durga Puja, Dussehra to Karwa Chauth, Dhanteras & Diwali.
As part of the Online Shopping Dhamaka, Amazon.in hosted three major events including ‘Mission to Mars’ weekend between 4th-6th October dedicated to the success of India’s Magalyaan mission, the Diwali Dhamaka Week between October 10-16 and Dhanteras Dhamaka on October 21st. All these events offered great deals across hundreds of products from all categories enabling great savings for customers everyday & every hour on their festive shopping.
“We are humbled by the tremendous response from customers to the Online Shopping Dhamaka and all events hosted as part of this. The response has been beyond our wildest expectations. With millions of customers making their first purchase on Amazon.in this festive season, over 50% orders coming from non-metros, our INR 10 crore+ monthly sales seller club growing by 5X and traffic spikes witnessed on multiple occasions throughout the month-long celebrations stand proof of the cheer & delight that our customers & sellers experienced this festive season on our platform,” says Amit Agarwal, Country Manager & VP, Amazon India.
Key highlights of Amazon.in’s Online Shopping Dhamaka (September 21- October 21, 2014):
- Traffic during the Online Shopping Dhamaka witnessed a steady increase and reached new crescendos at different instances. 1st day of Diwali Dhamaka Week (10th October), 3rd day of Mission of Mars (6th October) and Dhanteras Dhamaka (21st October) were the three important occasions when traffic on the site peaked multi-fold.
- Traffic on October 10th was 200% more than that on October 6th.
- Traffic jumped by over 300% between October 10-16, 2014
- Traffic peaked by over 150% on October 21, 2014, the day of Danteras Dhamaka
- Top 5 Cities (Metros)- Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai
- Top 5 Cities (Non-Metro) – Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Nagpur, Coimbatore, Bhubaneshwar
- Amazon.in also witnessed massive interest from other cities like Gurgoan, Surat, Baroda, Vizag, Patna, Bhopal, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Noida, Lucknow, Guwahati, etc.
- Mobile devices contributed to nearly half of the traffic
- Top 5 Categories – Consumer Electronics (including PC), Books, Home (& Kitchen), Beauty, Shoes
- Consumer Electronics & Home & Kitchen grew nearly 6x during the Diwali Dhamaka Week
- Smartphones, PCs, Cameras, Wireless Accessories & Home Entertainment were among the top 5 sub-categories
- Top selling products included Deep fryers, Mixer Grinders, Water Purifiers, Microwave Ovens and Bedsheets
- Decoration Lights, Diyas & Lanterns, Candles, Puja Articles and Idols & Figurines were some of the other products that received a tremendous response from customers
- The growth in sales for books was over 3x during this period
- Indian Writing, Literature & Fiction, Children’s Books and Biographies were the popular categories with Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s latest book ‘Forge Your Future’ being the No. 1 bestseller within the Diwali special list
- Most Popular products- Micromax phones, Flash drives, Coke Zero, iPhones and Philips shavers
- Sales of Ethnic wear witnessed a 5x jump with 50% sales coming from sarees. Customers have purchased sarees ranging from pure silks & embroideries to designer wear sarees
- Kidswear grew by 8x with traditional clothing for kids witnessing high customer interest. Character merchandise was our customer’s favourite pick with Batman, Spiderman, Disney Princess being top performers
- Several brands & products launched exclusively on Amazon.in during the Online Shopping Dhamaka including –
- The Micromax Canvas Android One.
- Timex Weekender range of watches
- HiDesign’s ICONIC range of bags for both men & women
- Audio range from House of Marley
- Blackberry Passport
Every exclusive launch received an overwhelming response from customers with sales exceeding thousands of units for each range within two weeks of its launch. Over 100,000 Micromax Canvas Android One smartphones were sold on Amazon.in in two weeks of its launch and the device continues to be one of the best-selling products on Amazon.in even today. The Blackberry Passport went out-of-stock.
- Amazon.in launched special festive design packaging and introduced gift boxes & gift wrapping paper in colours that match with the artwork on the gift boxes for Diwali
- On the occasion of Diwali, Amazon.in extended its Gift A Smile initiative to new states by adding 15 more NGOs working for causes ranging from child development, education, health care & protection to women empowerment and more. The reach of the initiative has now widened covering states like Kerala, Uttarakhand & Telangana
- Amazon.in’s seller club that has INR 10 crore+ monthly sales grew by 5X during the 30-day period of the Online Shopping Dhamaka
- Sellers on the Amazon.in marketplace received orders from 15,697 pin codes and from 925 non-metro cities