New Delhi, India, January 13, 2016: Seagate Technology has announced the launch of the Seagate NAS HDD 8TB. The new 8TB drives are designed for tower enclosures with one to eight bays, delivering up to 64TB in a single eight-bay desktop form factor. This high storage density gives small business the high capacity and flexibility to address the data challenges on the immediate horizon while preparing for the future. These reliable, scalable drives address the ever-growing data challenges for the Small- and Medium-sized Businesses (SMB), Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) and creative professional segments.
Data volumes continue to increase at an astounding rate, with IDC’s Digital Universe Study forecasting that the world’s annual data creation will increase by ten-fold between 2013 and 2020 to 4.4 zettabytes. Seagate’s own research has revealed that SMBs in particular are choosing NAS solutions over other storage technologies such as storage area networks (SAN) and direct attached storage (DAS) to help manage this looming surge in data. Of the people who preferred NAS, 18% do so because of price, 16% for ease-of-use and 10% for quality.
The new Seagate NAS 8TB HDD is optimized for a diverse set of NAS use cases including backup and disaster recovery, print and file servers, multimedia storage, archiving, file sharing and virtualization. In addition, industry-leading NAS manufacturers including ASUSTOR, QNAP, Synology and Thecus have qualified the NAS HDD 8TB for compatibility in a number of their products.
The new drive includes:
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 8TB capacities
- Suitability for 1- to 8-bay enclosures
- 180TB/year Workload Rate Limit (WRL)—the largest WRL for this category of NAS drive, offering businesses peace of mind that heavy workloads can be easily managed
- MTBF of 1M hour—demonstrating mature robustness of the drive family
- Three-Year Limited Warranty—peace of mind from a reliable NAS HDD
- One-of-kind optional three-year Rescue Data Recovery service to protect against potential data loss
The new Seagate NAS HDD 8TB has shipped to select customers, with wide-scale availability at the end of the current quarter.