New Delhi, India, February 5, 2015: According to Counterpoint Research, In India, Samsung led the overall mobile phone and smartphone market during the quarter Q4 2014 (Oct-Dec) with a market share of 16.1% and 27.4% respectively. You can understand it via below chart:
Following are the key findings of the competitive environment in Indian Handset Market:
- India mobile phone market grew by 6% Y-o-Y but declined sequentially on account of a mixed seasonality during the quarter.
- Smartphone shipments stood close to 22 Million during Q4 2014 reaching to a record level crossing 80 Million units for the first time and contributing close to 32% of the overall shipments in CY 2014.
- India is the third largest smartphone market in the world and shipping almost twice as many smartphones shipped in Japan in 2014.
- Samsung led the overall mobile phone and smartphone market during the quarter with a market share of 16.1% and 27.4% respectively.
- Micromax maintained the second position in both overall and smartphone market closely following Samsung. Micromax smartphone shipments grew 75% Y -o-Y but declined sequentially
- Intex entered the top 5 smartphone vendor rankings for the first time in a quarter capturing slightly under 7% of the market share during the quarter. Intex smartphones enjoyed a strong demand in sub-$100 smartphone segment especially for its Aqua 3G and Y Pro models.
- Lenovo raced to number fifth position primarily due to acquisition of Motorola capturing almost 5% of the Indian smartphone market during the quarter
- Xiaomi smartphone shipments grew almost 250% Q-o-Q but the vendor failed to make it to the Top five smartphone vendors during the quarter
- For the full year, the online only brands, Xiaomi and Motorola crossed 1Mn and 3Mn mark (cumulative shipments) respectively since launch signifying growing trend of consumers purchasing phones online.
- Meanwhile, Apple’s iPhone shipment touched half a million units for the first time in a quarter with strong demand for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
- The competition for the third – fifth spots in India smartphone market will be a close race between the fast growing smartphone brands such as Intex, Lava, Lenovo (Including Motorola), Karbonn, Xiaomi, Sony and others.