Las Vegas, USA, January 7 2015: MHL Consortium today announced the superMHL specification, the next-generation of MHL technology for CE and mobile devices. Building on its market leadership, superMHL delivers significant mobile advancements such as higher resolution and frame rates along with 40W of power charging, while broadening MHL’s reach in home theater connectivity by supporting 8K video resolution and expanded audio formats. With superMHL, consumers can link their mobile devices, set- top boxes (STBs), Blu-ray Disc players, AVRs, streaming media sticks and other source devices to TVs and displays. The release of a new reversible superMHL connec tor supports enhanced video formats to deliver lifelike, immersive content between home theater products and displays.
Features of superMHL Include:
- Delivery of up to 8K 120fps video
- Deep Color support up to 48-bit c olor depths
- Wider color gamut to view content the way filmmakers intended Power charging up to 40W
- High- Dynamic Range (HDR) support to strike the perfect balance of bright spectral highlights along with shadow details
- Immersive surround sound with support for object audio such as Dolby Atmos, DTS- UHD, 3D audio, and an audio-only mode
- Advanc ed c onnec tivity configurations to link multiple MHL devic es together (TV, AVR, Blu-ray player) and control them via one remote
- Content on multiple displays when connecting a single device
- New reversible superMHL connec tor
- New support for the MHL Alt Mode for the USB T ype- C spec ific ation
Introducing the superMHL Connector
superMHL mandates a minimum set of feature requirements so c onsumers are guaranteed a full video experience on their 4K or 8K devices. To support these advanc ed features, MHL has introduced the new reversible superMHL connector. This 32 pin connector can carry
concurrent video, data and power charging all in a slim, consumer-friendly form fac tor. A reversible design means that consumers don’t have to worry about the plug’s orientation or the cable’s direction eliminating frustration and offering a high level of flexibility.
“As the world’s leading TV brand, Samsung c ontinues to innovate as an MHL Promoter to c reate the first 8K interfac e and the release of a reversible, c onsumer-friendly superMHL c onnec tor,” said John Ryu, vic e president of Visual Display, Samsung Elec tronic s. “superMHL is designed for higher performanc e to deliver the best possible TV resolution so c onsumers c an enjoy superior c olor, inc redible c ontrast and true -to- life pic ture.”
With more than 750 million MHL devices on the market, superMHL is backward-compatible with previous MHL 1, 2 and 3 spec ific ation versions and supports the latest HDCP 2.2 content protection for the secure delivery of premium content.
“MHL enables c onsumers to share what they love – photos, videos, music and ideas – with the world around them. Our goal is to make c ontent more meaningful and ac c essible,” said Rob Tobias, president, MHL, LLC. “With the release of superMHL, consumers can experience content beyond resolution, foc us on the pic ture instead of the pixels, and live in a world where TVs are truly windows into the future.”