Quote from Mr. Shekhar Sanyal, Director and Country Head, The IET on Pre- Budget expectations and wish list for the new budget:
The new government is showing concerns and devising action-oriented approaches to educate and skill our young people. We expect the budget to provide much needed boost to the education sector. With the HRD minister’s nod for spending 6 per cent of GDP on education, the sector will experience result-driven initiatives. The immediate focus of the budget should be to deal with three challenges – faculty crunch, quality regulation and unemployability.
The budget should emphasize on:
- Enhanced focus on research and emphasis on teachers and teaching
- Government’s major schemes like RUSA, RMSA and SSA should be strengthened and streamlined to be outcome based.
- Skill development should be given high priority
- Bringing together the public agencies (NSDC, HEC, UGC, AICTE) to work closely to tackle the issue of unemployability
- Incorporating professionalism and ethics in the course curriculum”