New Delhi, India, July 22, 2014: Broadcom Corporation, a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its DOCSIS 3.0-based chipset is powering new high-speed broadband for Hathway Cable and Telecom, India’s largest cable broadband service provider. Broadcom’s DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets enable cable operators such as Hathway to economically and reliably expand services to support high value interactive applications, such as on-demand programming, for both residential and commercial customers.
Optimized to meet growing subscriber demand for high speed broadband and streaming of HD content to multiple devices, Hathway is the first multi-system operator to launch a DOCSIS 3.0 network in India capable of transmitting high speed data at speeds greater than 300 megabits per second (Mbps). Operators are currently upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0-based broadband gateways with 85 percent revenue growth in 2013 alone, according to industry analyst firm Infonetics.
Rich Nelson, Broadcom Senior Vice President of Marketing, BCG, said, “Broadcom has been instrumental in developing the DOCSIS 3.0 standard for cable networks, enabling faster transmission speeds by adding advanced media access control capabilities. By leveraging our DOCSIS 3.0 chipset, Hathway can dramatically expand value-added services to their subscribers, providing the enhanced entertainment experience viewers have been waiting for.”
“Broadcom’s advanced DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets provided the innovation we needed to cost-effectively upgrade our equipment and meet growing consumer demand for on-demand video consumption to our subscribers across the country,” said JayantChangrani, Hathway Cable and Datacom President of Technology. “Our subscribers will be among the first in the region to enjoy a vastly improved entertainment experience capable of uninterrupted streaming of HD content and a multi-room, multi-screen experience.”
Hathway is one of the leading cable television services provider in India, as well as one of the leading cable broadband services providers. Hathway offers cable television services across 140 cities and towns and high-speed cable broadband services across 20 cities.
Key Features of Broadcom DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Gateway SoC
Broadcom offers high-speed data, voice over cable and gateway SoCs that offer:
• Full-Band Capture digital tuning technology: Integrated on-chip technology directly samples and digitizes the entire 1GHz downstream spectrum of a cable plant, providing access to any channel anywhere
• Dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi: Extends the wireless network to enable a more reliable network for video distribution throughout the home
• Simultaneous 2.4 and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11 band streams enable gateways to segregate data and video distribution (video having its own band), reducing interference and enabling a high-quality user experience
• Integrated applications processor expands the capability of the modem and supports advanced applications without impacting the voice and gateway performance
• Multi-threaded 1 Gigahertz (GHz) application processor offering a 100% CPU speed improvement
Broadcom’s full portfolio of DOCSIS 3.0 devices is currently available.