Oxford/Freiburg, November 11, 2014: Paragon Software Group, a leading multi-platform dictionary applications developer for mobiles, tablets and PCs, announces the release of the Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English (OLDAE) app – the learner’s dictionary that focuses exclusively on academic English. The app was developed by Oxford University Press, the world’s authority on the English language.
The OLDAE app has been developed for non-native English speakers studying in the academic subject areas of physical sciences, life sciences, social sciences or humanities – in English. The app helps the user to understand words and phrases used in academic writing and to improve their own writing.
The 22,000 words and phrases included in the app were carefully researched and were informed by the 85-million-word Oxford Corpus of Academic English. Each entry is clearly explained, with the focus on how the word or phrase is used in academic English and includes example sentences to show how the word is used in academic texts.
Diana Lea, Managing Editor for OLDAE, Oxford University Press said “The number of students studying academic subjects in English is growing every year. While many may have a good level of general English, the more academic vocabulary required for writing essays and understanding texts is challenging for them. A general English dictionary doesn’t give them the help they need but the Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English, which focuses exclusively on academic English, gives them exactly what they need.”
The Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English includes:
- 22,000 words, phrases and meanings clearly explained, with the focus on their usage in academic writing
- Informed by the 85-million-word Oxford Corpus of Academic English
- Over 50,000 corpus-based example sentences
- Word lists for four subject areas (physical sciences, life sciences, social sciences and humanities) that you can add to or edit
- Create and organize your own lists of favourite words
- ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wild card search allow you to find a word spelling
- All the dictionary text is live – tap to instantly look up a word
- Customized view: customizable background colour, font size, search results highlighting etc.
- No on-going Internet connection required: simply download the dictionary once and use it on your device without any additional Wi-Fi expense or availability issues.
- British and American audio pronunciations recorded by native speakers
- Full dictionary search to find words in any phrase, collocation or sentence in the dictionary
Requirements: iOS 7.0 and later.
The free download will give 100 sample entries from the dictionary app. An in-app purchase is required to activate the full dictionary. The Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English is available for 23.99 EUR (18.99 GBP, 26.99 USD) at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oxford-learners-dictionary/id899098016?mt=8.